AR1. Advances in Research Chair: Herbert Pardes, M.D.
1. Alzheimer’s Disease: Genes, Diagnostics, and Therapeutic Advances Steven Paul, M.D.
2. Neuromodulation in Psychiatric Practice Sarah H. Lisanby, M.D.
3. Schizophrenia: Advancing Knowledge With a Paradigm Shift William T. Carpenter, M.D.
4. Update on Treatment of Unipolar Depression Steven P. Roose, M.D.
A3. Advances in Mentalization-Based Therapy Chairs: Anthony W. Bateman, M.D., John G. Gunderson, M.D.
1. Effectiveness of MBT: An Independent Replication Study and Other Evidence From the Netherlands Dawn L. Bales, M.A., M.Sc.
2. Integrating General Psychiatric Management With MBT and DBT Lois W. Choi-Kain, M.D., M.Ed.
3. Mentalizing Interventions in Everyday Clinical Practice Anthony W. Bateman, M.D.
4. Psychopathology and Mentalizing Peter Fonagy, Ph.D.
5. Training and the Development of an MBT Service for BPD Robin L. Kissell, M.D.
AM2. Top 10 Medical Articles of 2011: A Comprehensive and Practical Review of What We Need to Know Chair: Monique V. Yohanan, M.D., M.P.H.
CC3. “Doctor, Would You Please Kill Me?”: What Are the Boundaries of Self-Determination and Suicide? Chairs: Philip R. Muskin, M.D., M.A., Elizabeth Evans, M.D.
Chair: Peter F. Buckley, M.D.
L13. Why Should Psychiatrists Care About Neuroscience? APA Distinguished Psychiatrist Lecture; Mayada Akil, M.D.
L14. The Chariot and the Couch: Western Psychotherapeutic Models and Eastern Insights Frontiers of Science Lecture; Matcheri S. Keshavan M.D.
SMALL INTERACTIVE SESSION
SI06. Women in Psychiatry: Personal Perspectives (Meet the Author) Chair: Donna M. Norris, M.D.
SCIENTIFIC AND CLINICAL REPORT
SCR13. Individual Therapy as Treatment
1. Challenges in the Treatment of a Physician Patient With Psychosis Jacob Freedman, M.D.
2. Adolescence and the Reorganizationof Infant Development: A Neuro-Psychoanalytic Model Frans Stortelder, M.D.
3. The Clinical Relevance and Application of the Real Relationship in Patient Treatment Patrice Duquette, M.D.
4. A Study of Youthful Long-Term Members of Alcoholics Anonymous Marc Galanter, M.D.
SCR14. INPATIENT PSYCHIATRY
1. Clinical and Demographic Profile of Repeatedly Violent Patients in an Acute Psychiatric Hospital: A One-Year Retrospective Study Rozy Aurora, M.D.
2. The Impact of Hospitalists in Psychiatry Julian Beezhold, M.D.
3. Inpatient Psychiatric Care: Consequences of Short LOS Harold Schwartz, M.D.
NEW RESEARCH/YOUNG INVESTIGATOR POSTER SESSION 5
W62. Postmortem Approaches to Psychiatric Neuropathology: Logistical, Legal, and Neuropathological Issues Chair: Karley Y. Little, M.D.
W63. Waste in Psychiatry: An Overview of the Problem and Some Suggested Solutions Chair: Sunil D. Khushalani, M.D.
W64. True Integrated Care: The Role of Combined Training in Family-Medicine Psychiatry and Internal Medicine Psychiatry in the Era of Integration Chairs: Erik R. Vanderlip, M.D., Alison C. Lynch, M.D.
W65. Factors Affecting Provision of Psychotherapy by American and Canadian Psychiatrists Chairs: Joyce C. West, Ph.D., M.P.P., John C. Perry, M.D., M.P.H.
W66. Addressing Mental Health Care Disparities Through Interdisciplinary Training in Integrated Health Care, Cultural Competence, and Family Systems Chair: Octavio N. Martinez, M.D., M.P.H.
W67. Transformational Leadership to Improve Mental Health Care Delivery in Minority and Underserved Populations American Psychiatric Leadership Fellowship Program; Chairs: Tanya R. Anderson, M.D., Napoleon B. Higgins, M.D.
W68. Transition to Practice and Transitions in Practice: A Workshop for Members-In-Training (MITs) and Early Career Psychiatrists (ECPs) Chair: Chetana Kulkarni, M.D.
W69. American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Update: Certification in Psychiatry and Its Subspecialties Chairs: Larry R. Faulkner, M.D., Beth Ann Brooks, M.D., M.S.
MW5. Beginners: Conundrums of Human Bonding, Young and Old, LGBT, and Otherwise Chairs: Petros Levounis, M.D., M.A., Jack Drescher, M.D.
S44. The Future of Psychiatric Diagnosis: Updates on Proposed Diagnostic Criteria for DSM-5 (Part III) American Psychiatric Institute for Research and Education
1. DSM-5 Proposals for Somatic Symptom Disorders Joel E. Dimsdale, M.D.
2. DSM-5 Classification of Sleep-Wake Disorders Charles Reynolds, M.D.
3. Neuroscience and Substance Use Disorders in DSM-5 Charles O’Brien, M.D., Ph.D.
4. Eating Disorders in DSM-5 B. Timothy Walsh, M.D.
5. Report on the Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Work Group Kenneth J. Zucker, Ph.D.
S45. Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder Spectrum: New Findings and Clinical Implications
1. Phenotyping Across the Psychosis Spectrum: Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective, and Psychotic Bipolar Disorder Carol A. Tamminga, M.D.
2. Genetic Predisposition, Endophenotypes, and New Treatment Strategies for Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder Robert Freedman, M.D.
3. Update From the Mood Disorders Work Group for DSM-5: Boundaries of Bipolar and Schizophrenia Disorders Trisha Suppes, M.D., Ph.D.
4. The Convergence of Psychopharmacotherapy for Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder Philip G. Janicak, M.D.
S46. Innovative Substance Abuse Research Findings: What Are the Barriers to Implementation?
1. Genetics and Pharmacogenetics of Drug and Alcohol Dependence Henry R. Kranzler, M.D.
2. The Impact of Functional Imaging on Clinical Practice: Promises and Pitfalls Diana Martinez, M.D.
3. Computer-Delivered Therapy for Addiction: State of the Science and Opportunities for Embedding Technology-Based Therapeutic Tools in Systems of Care Lisa A. Marsch, Ph.D.
4. Changing Practice With Research: It Ain’t Just Dissemination A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D.
S47. Inventing the Neck: Connecting Body, Mind, World From the Top Down and the Bottom Up
1. Improving Behavioral Health Care in Primary Care: Partners in Integrated Care Keith Kanel, M.D.
2. Psychosocial Pediatrics for the New Millennium Howard King, M.D.
3. Focusing Health Care: The Camden Experience Jeff Brenner, M.D.
4. Integrating Health Care by Crossing the Professional Line: Peer Support Specialists and the Journey to Wellness Marshall E. Lewis, M.D.
5. Pursuing Wellness From Head to Toe: A Seeker’s Perspective Lisa St. George, M.S.W.
S48. Psychiatry and the Role of Psychiatrists as Leaders in the Field of Medicine in Terms of Health Policy and the Changes in Health Care Delivery
1. The Role of Psychiatrists as Leaders in Health Care Rahn K. Bailey, M.D.
2. The Role of Professional Medical Associations in Representing the Interests of Physicians to the Government and Private Sector Jeremy A. Lazarus, M.D.
3. Health Care Reform and Changes in Health Care Delivery in the Future Annelle B. Primm, M.D., M.P.H.
S49. Use of Technology for Research, Treatment, and Evaluation of Alcohol Dependence
1. Computer-Delivered Interventions: A Stepped Care Approach for Problem Drinkers William Campbell, M.S..
2. Virtual Reality Skills Training for Health Care Professionals in Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention Dale Olsen, Ph.D.
3. Virtual Reality Skills Training for Health Care Professionals in Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention—Part 2 Paul Grossberg, M.D.
4. Virtual Reality Applications for Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patrick S. Bordnick, Ph.D.
5. Biosensors for Alcohol Treatment Research and Practice: An Update Nancy Barnett, Ph.D.
S50. Grief or Major Depression? That Is the Question
1. The Bereavement Exclusion for the Diagnosis of Major Depression: Background and Rationale Alana Iglewicz, M.D.
2. Bereavement-Related and Nonbereavement-Related Depressions: A Comparative Field Study in Lebanon Elie G. Karam, M.D.
3. The Discriminant Validity of DSM-IV Bereavement Exclusion for the Diagnosis of Major Depression: Results of Naturalistic Real-World Studies in France Emmanuelle Corruble, M.D., Ph.D.
4. Characteristics and 3-Year Course of Bereavement-Related Depressive Episodes: A Longitudinal Community-Based Study in the United States Ramin Mojtabai, M.D., Ph.D.
S51. Impact of Psychiatric Disorder on HIV Management
1. Central Nervous System Complications Stephen J. Ferrando, M.D.
2. Mood Disorders and HIV Lawrence McGlynn, M.D.
3. Psychosis and HIV Francine Cournos, M.D.
4. HIV and Anxiety Disorders Mary Ann Cohen, M.D.
5. Sleep Disorders and HIV Mary O’Dowd, M.D.
6. HIV and Pain Marshall Forstein, M.D.
S52. Fundamentals of the Perinatal Psychiatric Consultation
1. Risk/Benefit Decision Making and the Perinatal Consultation Margaret Spinelli, M.D.
2. Information Gathering: How to Stay Up to Date With the Most Current Literature in Perinatal Psychiatry Elizabeth M. Fitelson, M.D.
3. Acute Management of the Obstetric Patient Lucy A. Hutner, M.D.
4. Medication Treatments for the Perinatal Psychiatric Population Adrienne Einarson, R.N.
5. Perinatal Consultation: Psychotherapeutic Treatment Options Kristin Leight Wesley, M.D.
6. The Formulation: Putting It All Together Laura Miller, M.D.
S53. The Black Community and Its LGBT Members
1. Being Black and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgendered Richard G. Dudley, M.D.
2. The Current Science of LGBT and Mental Health Kenneth B. Ashley, M.D.
3. Is There More Homophobia in the Black Community? Marjorie Hill, Ph.D.
4. LGBT Persons and the Black Church Kelly Douglas, Ph.D.
5. The Black Community and LGBT Members: The Role for Behavioral Scientists Jerome M. Gibbs, Ph.D.
S54. Addressing the Mental Health Needs of Returning Service Personnel and Veterans
1. Prevalence of PTSD and Depression Over Time Among Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans Terry L. Schell, Ph.D.
2. Prevalence and Correlates of Drinking Behaviors Among Previously Deployed Military and Matched Civilian Populations Rajeev Ramchand, Ph.D.
3. Health-Care Seeking Among Previously Deployed Military Personnel: Barriers to and Preferences for Treatment Lisa Jaycox, Ph.D.
4. Can Measures of Post-Concussive Syndrome Distinguish Traumatic Brain Injury From Posttraumatic Psychiatric Problems? Terri L. Tanielian, M.A.
S55. Dysconnectivity of the Brain in Addiction and Pain U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse
1. Revealing the Brain’s Circuit Diagrams via Resting State Functional Connectivity F. Xavier Castellano, M.D.
2. Functional and Structural Connectivity in Chronic Marijuana and Tobacco Smokers Francesca Filbey, Ph.D.
3. Phenotype/Genotype-Dependent Brain Circuit Alterations in Nicotine Dependence Elliot Stein, Ph.D.
4. Functional Connectivity of Reward Responsivity and Disinhibition Angus Macdonald, Ph.D.
5. Functional Connectivity in Pain and Opioid Analgesic Dependence David Borsook, M.D., Ph.D.
AM3. Pain Medicine: An Evolving Field for Psychiatry Chair: Martin D. Cheatle, Ph.D.
Chair: Robert B. Lydiard, M.D., Ph.D.
F4. Witness to an Extreme Century Chairs: R. Rao Gogineni, M.D., Abraham L. Halpern, M.D.
L15. International Outside Guest Lecture—A Life in Moods APA Guest Lecture; Kay Redfield Jamison, Ph.D.
L16. Mice, Men, and Mental Illness: Animal Models of Cognitive and Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia APA Adolf Meyer Award Lecture; Eric R. Kandel, M.D.
NEW RESEARCH POSTER SESSION 6
SMALL INTERACTIVE SESSION
SI07. Treatment-Resistant Depression: Clinical Guidelines for Treatment and Prevention Chair: John F. Greden, M.D.
SCIENTIFIC AND CLINICAL REPORTS
SCR15. Longitudinal Course of Borderline Personality Disorder
1. The Course of Anxiety Disorders in Patients With Borderline Personality Disorder and Axis II Comparison Subjects: A 10-Year Follow-Up Study Merav Silverman
2. The Relationship Between Childhood Adversity and Dysphoric Inner States Among Borderline Patients Followed Prospectively for 10 Years Lawrence Reed, Ph.D.
3. Personality Trait Changes in Patients With Borderline Personality Disorder and Other Personality Disorders Over 16 Years Christopher Hopwood, Ph.D.
SCR16. Mental Health Care in Other Countries
1. Mental Health Interventions in Nonpsychiatric Settings: Examples From a Youth Clinic in Geneva, Switzerland Shqipe Shehu-Brovina, M.D.
2. New Zealand Mental Health: An American Perspective James Reardon, M.D.
3. A Retrospective Analysis of Health Care Utilization in Psychiatric Outpatients in a Staff Model HMO: Applications of a Pharmacogenetic Algorithm Aida Mihajlovic, M.D., M.S.
W70. DSM-5 and the Prisons Chairs: Rodrigo A. Muñoz, M.D., Amanda Ruiz, M.D.
W71. Women in Psychiatry: Pregnancy and Parenthood Chair: Delaney Smith, M.D.
W72. Update on Screening and Brief Intervention (SBI): What We Know and Don’t Know About SBI U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism; Chair: Richard Saitz, M.D.
W73. Integrative Group Therapy for Adult Patients With ADHD: How Can We Make It Effective? Chair: Alina Marin, M.D., Ph.D.
W74. Virgins, Vixens, and Vampires: The Art of Edvard Munch Chairs: Linda F. Pessar, M.D., Mariann W. Smith, M.A.
W75. Psychiatrists and Pharma: How Should They Interact? APA/Scattergood Foundation; Chair: Paul S. Appelbaum, M.D.
W76. Medical Conditions Mimicking Psychiatric Disorders Versus Psychiatric Disorders Mimicking Medical Conditions—Diagnostic and Treatment Challenges APA Council on Psychosomatic Medicine and Geriatric Psychiatry; Chairs: Catherine C. Crone, M.D., Lorenzo Norris, M.D.
W77. The Different Faces of Global Mental Health: Current Initiatives, Future Directions American Association of Community Psychiatrists; Chairs: Sosunmolu O. Shoyinka, M.D., Mandy Garber, M.D., M.P.H.
SM14. EEG in Psychiatry Practice Chairs: Nash N. Boutros, M.D., Oliver Pogarell, M.D.
SM15. Integrating Mental Health Services Within Primary Care Setting: Effective Strategies and Practical Tips Chair: Nick Kates, M.B.B.S.
SM16. How to Give a More Effective Lecture: Punch, Passion, and Polish Chair: Phillip J. Resnick, M.D.
SM17. Psychiatric Consultation in Long-Term Care: Advanced Course Chairs: Abhilash K. Desai, M.D., George T. Grossberg, M.D.
SM18. Integrative Treatments for Cognitive Enhancement, Traumatic Brain Injury, ADHD, Sexual Enhancement, and Life-Stage Issues for Men and Women Chairs: Patricia L. Gerbarg, M.D., Richard P. Brown, M.D.
SM19. A Developmental Approach to Contemporary Issues in Psychotherapy With Gay Men Chairs: Robert M. Kertzner, M.D., Marshall Forstein, M.D.
SM20. Performance of the Mental Status Examination: Assessment of Frontal Cortical Functioning Chair: Stephen I. Deutsch, M.D., Ph.D.
AM4. Advances in Medicine: Palliative Medicine Chair: John L. Shuster, M.D.
CC4. Early Intervention and Continuity of Care for the Early-Stage Schizophrenic Person Chair: S. Charles Schulz, M.D.
L17. Rethinking Bipolar Disorder: Where We’ve Been, Where We Are, Where We Need to Go David J. Kupfer, M.D.
SMALL INTERACTIVE SESSIONS
SI08. Top 10 Geriatric Psychiatry Issues for the General Psychiatrists Chairs: Josepha A. Cheong, M.D., Iqbal Ahmed, M.D.
SI09. To be Determined Chair: Benjamin Shelton, M.D.
SCIENTIFIC AND CLINICAL REPORT
SCR17. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Problems
1. Is Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Increased Risk of Metabolic Syndrome Among Inpatients With Mood Disorders? John Goethe, M.D.
2. Predictors of Monitoring of Metabolic Parameters in Adolescents on Antipsychotics Sameer Ghate, M.P.H.
3. Monitoring Metabolic Side Effects of Atypical Antipsychotics in People With Intellectual Disability Priyanka Tharian
SCR18. Nonpharmacologic Treatment of Depression
1. FMRI Guidance Enhances Targeting of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) David Gorelick, M.D., Ph.D.
2. Tai Chi Treatment for Depressed Chinese Americans: A Pilot Study Albert Yeung, M.D., Sc.D.
3. Healing the Mind: The Role of Spirituality in Depression Elsa Russom, M.D.
W78. Advocating for Your Patients in an Era of Health Care Reform APA Council on Advocacy and Government Relations; Chair: Jerry L. Halverson, M.D.
W79. The Metrics of Suicide Chair: M. Justin Coffey, M.D.
W80. High-Yield Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Brief Sessions Chair: Donna M. Sudak, M.D.
W81. Antipsychotics in the Medically Ill Chair: Vishal Madaan, M.D.
W82. Applying Recovery and Trauma-Informed Care Principles to an Inpatient Psychiatric Setting APA/Scattergood Foundation; Chair: Gina Fusco, M.D.
W83. “Maybe You Should See Someone...”: The Challenges of Referring Resident Colleagues to Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment Chairs: Marra Ackerman, M.D., Laura K. Kent, M.D.
W84. Treatment of PTSD and Depression in DoD: Taking Lessons Learned From the Trenches Into Your Practice and the Community Chairs: Capt. Paul S. Hammer, M.D., Cdr. Meena Vythilingam, M.D.
W85. Bullying: Prevention, and Intervention: An Overview AAOL; Chairs: David L. Scasta, M.D.
A4. Advances in Motivational Interviewing Chairs: Petros Levounis, M.D., M.A., Bachaar Arnaout, M.D.
1. Motivational Interviewing Approaches to Challenges of HIV Susan Tross, Ph.D.
2. Training in Motivational Interviewing Edward V. Nunes, M.D.
3. Using Motivational Interviewing in a Research Context to Answer Important Clinical Questions and Guide Treatment Deborah L. Haller, Ph.D.
PS3. New Approaches to Integration of Mental Health and Medical Health Services Chairs: Wayne J. Katon, M.D., Jurgen Unutzer, M.D., M.P.H.
1. Nationwide Integration of Behavioral Health Screening and Intervention for Trauma-Related Disorders in Acute Care Medical Settings Douglas F. Zatzick, M.D.
2. The Mental Health Integration Program: A Statewide Effort to Improve Mental Health Care for Safety-Net Patients Jurgen Unutzer, M.D., M.P.H.
3. Approaches to Integrating Health Care in Specialty Mental Health Settings Benjamin G. Druss, M.D., M.P.H.
4. Disseminating Effective Integrated Mental Health and Primary Care Services for PTSD and Depression in the U.S. Military Charles C. Engel, M.D., M.P.H.
5. Cost-Effectiveness of a Multicondition Collaborative Care Intervention Wayne J. Katon, M.D.
6. The Diamond Project: Improving Outcomes for Depression in Primary Care and Changing the Model of Reimbursement for That Care Mark D. Williams, M.D.
MW6. Sixty-Five Years After World War II: A Family Secret Chair: Gerald Schneiderman, M.D.
S56. Mythbusters: Untangling Psychiatric Myths From Truths
1. Maori-Myths: Things I Learned in Medical School That Turned Out Not to Be Quite True Philip R. Muskin, M.D., M.A.
2. The Myth of Antipsychotics That Antipsychotics Work for Delirium: True? Or Just Wishful Thinking? Robert J. Boland, M.D.
3. Which Labs to Check: From B12 to Thyroid John W. Barnhill, M.D.
4. Indications for Neuroimaging in Psychiatric Patients Colin J. Harrington, M.D.
S57. Beyond DSM-5: Shifting Paradigms in Schizophrenia
1. Paradigm Shifts in Clinical Conceptualization of Schizophrenia Rajiv Tandon, M.D.
2. Shifting Paradigms in the Epidemiology of Schizophrenia Dolores Malaspina, M.D.
3. The Simple Truth About the Genetic Complexity of Schizophrenia Daniel Weinberger, M.D.
S58. Integrating Primary Care, Mental Health, and Public Health: European and American Perspectives
1. Integrating Primary Care and Mental Health: European Perspectives Gabriel Ivbijaro, M.D.
2. Primary Care Psychiatry: The UK Perspective Dinesh Bhugra, M.B.B.S, Ph.D.
3. Making Common Cause: How a Partnership With Psychiatry Could Make Primary Health Care Complete Frank Degruy, M.D.
4. Integrating Primary Care and Mental Health: Serving Underserved Populations Sergio Aguilar-Gaxiola, M.D., Ph.D.
S59. Clinical Neuromodulation: What Every Clinician Needs to Know
1. Clinical Neuromodulation: Present Realities and Future Promise Sarah H. Lisanby, MD.
2. State of the Art of TMS: Evidence-Based Practice John O’Reardon, MD.
3. State of the Art of Seizure Therapy: ECT and MST Mustafa Husain, M.D.
4. DBS for OCD: Current Status, Research Needs, and Recommendations Ben Greenberg, M.D., Ph.D.
5. Cognitive Outcomes With Clinical Brain Stimulation Shawn McClintock, Ph.D.
S60. Electronic Health Record Privacy Update American Association for Technology in Psychiatry
1. Privacy as Health IT Enabler: Are We There Yet? Deven C. McGraw, J.D., M.P.H.
2. Health Information Exchanges or the Healthy Exchange of Information: Can It Be Done While Protecting Our Patients’ Privacy Interests? Glenn A. Martin, M.D.
3. Open-Source Software as Shared Infrastructure: A Novel Strategy to Enhance Data Interoperability While Improving Information Privacy in EHRs and HIEs Robert M. Kolodner, M.D.
4. APA 2012: Balancing Privacy With Convenience and Utility in Health Networks: Merging of HIEs, PHRs, and Social Media Steven R. Daviss, M.D.
5. Trends and Consequences in Breaches of Protected Health Information Zebulon Taintor, M.D.
S61. The Psychotherapy of Hope: Back to the Future in Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Persuasion and Healing
1. Integrating Evolutionary Science and Meaningful Psychotherapy: Treating Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders Julia B. Frank, M.D.
2. Acculturation and Demoralization in Immigrant America John M. De Figueiredo, M.D., Sc.D.
3. Cultural Contents and Dynamics of the Psychotherapeutic Encounter Renato D. Alarçon, M.D., M.P.H.
4. Existential Inquiry: Brief Psychotherapy for Countering Demoralization in Chronic Illness James L. Griffith, M.D.
5. A Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Curriculum for Medical Students Janis L. Cutler, M.D.
S62. Ethics and Medical Leadership
1. Ethical Leadership in Medicine Leah J. Dickstein, M.D., M.A.
2. Ethical Leadership for the Profession of Medicine Jeremy A. Lazarus, M.D.
3. Women Psychiatrists in Leadership Roles: Change and Ethics Donna M. Norris, M.D.
4. Ethical Challenges Facing Chief Residents Sherif A. Ragab, M.D.
5. Ethical Leadership Issues for Program Directors in Psychiatry Michael F. Myers, M.D.
S63. Double Trouble: Co-Occurrence of Alcoholism and Psychiatric Disorders U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
1. Co-Alcoholism and Anxiety Disorders Domenic Ciraulo, M.D.
2. Assessment and Treatment of Co-Occurring Disorders in Primary Care and Mental Health Settings Kathleen Brady, M.D., Ph.D.
3. Integrating Addiction Treatment Services in Mental Health and Primary Care Settings: Application of Benchmark Measures of Program Capability Mark P. McGovern, Ph.D.
4. An Epidemiological Update on Alcohol and Psychiatric Comorbidity: Findings From the NESARC Deborah S. Hasin, Ph.D.
S64. Psychiatrists as Activists: On Being Part of the Solution
1. Psychiatric Activism and Women’s Reproductive Rights Nada L. Stotland, M.D., M.P.H.
2. The Politics of Sexual Science: A Gay Psychiatrist’s Report From the Trenches of the Culture Wars Jack Drescher, M.D.
3. Psychiatrists as Leaders in Post-Disaster Emotional Resiliency Recovery Denese O. Shervington, M.D., M.P.H.
4. The Range of Interventions in Traumatized Communities Bruce Sklarew, M.D.
5. “Do the Right Thing” Carl C. Bell, M.D.
6. Democracy, Voices, and Psychiatry Kenneth S. Thompson, M.D.
S65. Trauma, PTSD, and HIV: Psychodynamic and Educational Approaches to Adherence in a Community Medical Setting—APA/AAPDP Collaborative Symposium American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry
1. Development of a Trauma and PTSD Curriculum to Meet the Needs of HIV Clinicians and their Patients Sharon M. Batista, M.D.
2. Psychodynamics of Trauma, PTSD, and Nonadherence to Medical Care in Persons With HIV and AIDS Mary Ann Cohen, M.D.
3. Our Patients With Trauma Are Nonadherent to Medical Care: An Innovative Approach to Education in an AIDS Clinic Maria Tiamson-Kassab, M.D.
4. Results and Outcomes of a Trauma, PTSD, and HIV Training Program Phil Meyer, L.C.S.W.
S66. Complicated Grief and DSM-5: A Stress-Response Syndrome
1. The Bereavement V-Code as an Aid to Prevention of Complicated Grief M. Katherine Shear, M.D.
2. Assessment and Diagnosis of Complicated Grief Charles Reynolds, M.D.
3. Complicated Grief: Differential Diagnosis and Comorbidity Naomi M. Simon, M.D., M.Sc.
4. Suicide Loss Survivors and Complicated Grief Sidney Zisook, M.D.
S67. Updates on Screening and Treatment of the Psychological Effects of the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
1. Screening and Intervention John C. Bradley, M.D.
2. Providing Psychiatric Treatment in War Zones: Perspectives From a Combat Stress Control Psychiatrist in Iraq and Afghanistan Jerald J. Block, M.D.
3. The Pacific Psychological Health Task Force: Building Partnerships to Enhance Psychological Health Care in the Pacific Region Carroll J. Diebold, M.D.
4. Pharmacotherapy for PTSD David M. Benedek, M.D.
5. Building Community Deployment Mental Health Competence and Capacity Through DoD/VA/State and Community Partnerships Harold Kudler, M.D.
6. Psychological Effects of the Long War Strategies for Mitigation Elspeth C. Ritchie, M.D., M.P.H.
S68. Integrated Treatment of Eating Disorders: What to Ask and What to Do
1. When a Patient Is in Your Office: Initial Assessment and Management of Eating Disorders Evelyn Attia, M.D.
2. Eating in Eating Disorders: What Is Important? Laurel Mayer, M.D.
3. CBT and Beyond: New Treatments for Eating Disorders Joanna E. Steinglass, M.D.
4. Lost in Translation: Integrating Culture in Eating Disorders Kathleen M. Pike, Ph.D.
S69. Integrated Approaches to the Care of Patients With Borderline Personality Disorder
1. Affective Instability: Toward an Integration of Neuroscience and Psychological Perspectives Harold W. Koenigsberg, M.D.
2. BPD Adversely Affects the Course of Axis I Disorders: An Integrated Perspective on Assessment and Prognosis Andrew E. Skodol, M.D.
3. APA Practice Guidelines for BPD: Integrating Psychotherapy and Psychopharmacological Management John M. Oldham, M.D., M.S.
4. Collaborative Treatment of Patients With BPD Kenneth R. Silk, M.D.
5. Recent Empirical Findings on BPD and Their Implications for Integrated Care Kenneth N. Levy, Ph.D.
L18. The Persistent Enigma of Anorexia Nervosa B. Timothy Walsh, M.D.
SMALL INTERACTIVE SESSIONS
SI10. What Is Bullying and Why Is It Such a Problem in Schools, Work-places, and Homes Posing as Domestic Violence (Meet the Author) Chair: Stuart W. Twemlow, M.D.
SI11. Laboratory Medicine: A Case-Based Discussion (Meet the Author) Chair: Sandra A. Jacobson, M.D.
SCIENTIFIC AND CLINICAL REPORTS
SCR19. OCD and Other Compulsions
1. Relationship Between Plasma Clomipramine Levels and OCD Symptoms in Adult Patients Donatella Marazziti, M.D.
2. Prevalence of Stalking in General Medical Practice Kathleen Dougherty, M.D.
3. The Long-Term Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder With SSRIs and Clomipramine With and Without Benzodiazepines Jyotsna Muttineni, M.D., M.S.
1. Understanding Fatigue: The Complex Relationship Between Depression and Sleep Michael Best
2. A Correlation of the Psychosocial Distress Status and the Physical Performance of Individuals With Poly-Trauma History: Two Years and Chronic Pain Armando Miciano, M.D.
3. The Use of a Novel Multi-Coil RTMS Device for the Treatment of Fibromyalgia Pain: Results of a Feasibility Study M. Bret Schneider, M.D.
SCR21. TBI Resources and Co-Occurring Disorders
1. DCoE for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury: Resources and Programs Lolita O’Donnell, Ph.D., R.N.
2. Sleep Dysfunction: The TBI and Psychological Health Co-Occurring Disorders Dilemma Dorothy Kaplan, Ph.D.
W86. Discharged to Shelter: The Theory and Practice of Homeless Psychiatry Chair: Dillon Euler, M.D.
W87. Successful Career Planning for Women APA Women’s Caucus; Chairs: Gail E. Robinson, M.D., Carol Nadelson, M.D.
W88. Psychiatry in the Courts: Hot Issues APA Committee on Judicial Action; Chair: Paul S. Appelbaum, M.D.
W89. The Mental Health Parity Act: Making it Work for You and Your Patients Chair: Paul H. Wick, M.D.
W90. Collaborating for Change: Training Families to Become Clinical Allies to Improve BPD Treatment Outcomes Chair: Valerie Porr, M.A.
W91. Using a Checklist to Characterize and Impact Antipsychotic Prescribing Patterns: Data From and Implications of the New York State Office of Mental Health SHAPEMED Project Chairs: Sharat G. Parameswaran, M.D., Matthew D. Erlich, M.D.
W92. Prescribing Psychotropic Medication for Geriatric Patients: Pearls and Pitfalls APA Council on Psychosomatic Medicine and Geriatric Psychiatry; Chairs: Helen H. Kyomen, M.D., M.S., James M. Ellison, M.D., M.P.H.