The term group psychotherapy, coined around 1931, is usually credited to J.L. Moreno, M.D., who brought his psychodrama technique from Vienna to New York in 1925 and began to hold group sessions that became increasingly geared to therapeutic goals (Psychiatric News, May 16). Throughout this period, other psychiatrists, mainly those with psychoanalytic backgrounds, also began to use group methods. These psychiatrists included Burrows, Marsh, Zazell, Wender, and Schilder. S.R. Slavson, a psychiatrist who worked with the Jewish Board of Guardians in New York, developed group methods to treat children and adolescents. Slavson was the first president of the American Group Therapy Association, serving from 1943 to 1946. The organization’s International Journal of Group Psychotherapy began publication in 1951 and is still being published.