Scientific and Clinical Reports
Long-Term and Withdrawal Phase of Treatment of Panic Disorder With Clonazepam or Paroxetine: A Randomized, Naturalistic Study
Antonio Nardi, M.D.
A Longitudinal Investigation of the Role of Self-Medication in the Development of Comorbid Anxiety and Substance Use Disorders
Jennifer Robinson, M.A.
Predictors of Treatment Response in Canadian Combat and Peacekeeping Veterans With Military-Related PTSD J. Don Richardson, M.D.
The Abnormalities of Myelin Integrity in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Multi-Parameter Diffusion Tensor Imaging Study Qing Fan, M.D.
SCR2. Biological Psychiatry and Neuroscience
5. Postmortem Dopamine Abnormalities in Human Cocaine Users: New Targets for In Vivo Imaging and Therapeutic Interventions
Karley Little, M.D.
6. Integrating Neuroscience Advances Into Clinical Psychiatric Practice David Hellerstein, M.D.
7. Neurological Underpinnings of Food Intake, Energy Balance, and Obesity: Implications for Psychiatrists Treating Patients
With Atypical Antipsychotics Sandhya Narayanan, M.A.
SCR3. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
8. Psychodynamic Profile of Diabetic Adolescent Patients Hani Hamed Dessoki, M.D.
9. Comparison of Face Recognition in Non-Affected Siblings of Autistic Children and Normal Group Zahra Shahrivar, M.D.
10. Cortical Thickness Correlates of Attention Problems in a Large-Scale Representative Cohort of 4- to 18-Year-Old Healthy
Children Without ADHD Simon Ducharme, M.D.
11. Genetic Evidence in Autism: A Review of the Literature Felicia Iftene, M.D., Ph.D.
W1. Supervision: The Slippery Slope: Teacher? Mentor? Police? Therapist?Chair: Yener Balan, M.D.
W2. Recognition, Diagnosis, and Treatment of the Workplace Mobbing VictimChair: James R. Hillard, M.D.
W3. Pan-Pacific Perspectives on Asians/Pacific Islanders, Substance Abuse, and Their TreatmentChair: John W. Tsuang, M.D.
W4. Applications and Lessons Learned From the HIV Psychiatry Liaison Experience for General PsychiatristsChair: Philip A. Bialer, M.D.
W5. Maintenance of Certification: Lessons From the TrenchesChair: Annette M. Matthews, M.D.
W6. Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: Using the NIAAA Clinician's GuideChairs: Robert Huebner, M.D., Mark Willenbring, M.D.
SM2. Seeing the Forest and the
Trees: An Approach to Biopsychosocial FormulationChair: William H. Campbell, M.D., M.B.A.
MC01. Update on Pediatric PsychopharmacologyChair: Christopher Kratochvil, M.D.
SM1. International Medical GraduatesChair: Jacob Sperber, M.D.
L1. The Doctor I Need for the Health Care I WantChair: Darrell G. Kirch, M.D.
L2. Rethinking Mental IllnessChair: Thomas Insel, M.D.
AM1. Medical Mysteries and Practical Medical Psychiatric Updates: Is it "Medical," "Psychiatric," or a Little of Both...?Chair: Robert M. McCarron, D.O.
MW1. Cluster B Personality Disorders and the Neo-Noir Femme FataleChair: Scott Snyder, M.D.
S1. Scope, Current Evidence, and Innovative Approaches in Managing PTSD in the MilitaryAmerican Psychiatric Institute for Research and Education
Epidemiology and Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Combat: A Critical Look at the Evidence Charles Hoge, M.D.
Pharmacotherapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder David Benedek, M.D.
Understanding the Evidence on Evidence-Based Psychotherapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Paula Schnurr, Ph.D.
Mental Health Services Delivery in Primary Care Edward Post, M.D.
Re-engineering Systems of Primary Care Treatment for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Depression in the U.S. Military: Program
Description and Implementation Charles Engel, M.D., M.P.H.
DoD/APIRE Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Care Dissemination Project Update Farifteh Duffy, Ph.D.
S2. Therapeutic and Research Implications of Dissociation in PTSD: A Gap in Our Awareness?
Historical Overview of Traumatic Dissociation in Psychotraumatology Eric Vermetten, M.D., Ph.D.
The Diagnostic Domain of Dissociative Symptoms: Assessment in the Context of a Dissociative Subtype of PTSD Richard Loewenstein, M.D.
The Theoretical and Statistical Differentiation of Fantasy and Trauma Models of Dissociation Constance Dalenberg, Ph.D.
Emotion Dysregulation in PTSD: Evidence for a Dissociative Subtype Lanius Ruth, M.D., Ph.D.
Dissociation in DSM-5 ASD and PTSD David Spiegel, M.D.
S3. Understanding the Risk of Suicide Associated With Recent Discharge
Prospective Risk Factors for Suicide Ideation and Behavior in Recently Discharged Patients Paul Links, M.D.
Understanding the Risks of Recent Discharge: The Phenomenological Lived Experiences John Cutcliffe, Ph.D., B.Sc.
Is Research With Suicidal Participants Risky Business? Jesmin Antony, M.S.
Suicide Risk Associated With Recent Discharge: Moving From Models to Intervention Ken Balderson, M.D., B.Sc.
S4. Brain Mechanisms and Neuropsychiatry in Smoking Cessation
Brain Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) Reactivity and Attentional Bias in Tobacco Abstinence Amy Janes, Ph.D.
Impulsivity in Smoking Cessation Richard Yi, Ph.D.
Naltrexone in Supplementing Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Smokers Benjamin Toll, Ph.D.
Behavioral Activation in Depressed Smokers Receiving Nicotine Replacement Therapy Laura MacPherson, Ph.D.
Scientific and Clinical Reports
SCR4. Cognitive Disorders (Delirium, Dementia)
12. Comparison of Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) and Mini Mental Status Exam (MMSE) in Identifying Cognitive Deficits
in Mood Disorders Neha Jain, M.D.
13. Epidemiological Survey of Influences of Long-Term Treatment With a Traditional Japanese Medicine, Yokukansan, on Behavioral
and Psychological Symptoms Kazunori Okahara, M.D.
14. Addressing Patients Needs I: Feelings of Loneliness but Not Social Isolation Predict Incident Dementia in Older Persons
Tjalling Holwerda, M.D.
15. The Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA): Why to Use it, How to Use it, and How to Score it Sandra Jacobson, M.D.
SCR5. Cross-Cultural and Minority Issues
16. Traditional and Alternative Healers: Prevalence of Use in Psychiatric Patients Zukiswa Zingela, M.B.B.S., M.Med.
17. Investigating a Decade of Psychiatric Research in the Arab Gulf Region Ossama Osman, M.D., M.B.A.
18. A Follow-Up Study of Risk and Protective Factors Influencing Posttraumatic Stress Reactions in Sierra Leonean Former Child
Soldiers Theresa Betancourt, Sc.D., M.A.
19. Motives for Khat Use and Abstinence in Yemen: A Gender Perspective Felix Wedegaertner, M.D., M.P.H.
20. Psychiatric Comorbidity and Suicidal Ideation Associated With PTSD in the Baseline Sample of 2,616 Soldiers in the Ohio
Army National Guard Joseph Calabrese, M.D.
21. Underrecognition and Undertreatment of Depressed Chinese Americans in Primary Care Albert Yeung, M.D., Sc.D.
22. Association Among Traumatic Experiences With Physical Health Conditions in a Nationally Representative Sample M. Natalie Husarewycz, M.D.
24. Sex Differences in Work Stress in a Representative Sample of the Canadian Forces Natalie Mota, M.A.
W7. Children of PsychiatristsChairs: Michelle B. Riba, M.D., M.S., Leah J. Dickstein, M.D., M.A.
W8. Introduction to the Evaluation of the Pain PatientChairs: Manu Mathews, M.D., Ed C. Covington, M.D.
W9. Electronic Health Records: Taking the PlungeAPA Committee on Electronic Health Records; Chairs: Robert M. Plovnick, M.D., M.S., Laura J. Fochtmann, M.D.
W10. The Tumultuous Marriage of Psychiatry and Religion and the Birth of the Biopsychosociospiritual FormulationAPA/SAMHSA Minority Fellows; Chairs: Amelia K. Villagomez, M.D., Billina R. Shaw, M.D.
W11. The New York State OMH SHAPEMEDs Project: Creating and Implementing an Antipsychotic Prescribing Care Pathway Via Public-Academic
PartnershipChairs: Sharat Parameswaran, M.D., Matthew Erlich, M.D.
W12. Mood and Menopause: A Closer Look Into Diagnostic and Treatment PerspectivesChair: Claudio N. Soares, M.D., Ph.D.
L3. American Exceptionalism and National Identity: Can We All Just Grow Up?Chair: Brig. Gen. Loree Sutton (Ret.)
L4. Benjamin Rush LectureChair: Andrea Tone, M.D.
New Research Resident Poster Session 1
Scientific and Clinical Reports
SCR7. Forensic Psychiatry
24. Ethical and Clinical Aspects of Pre-Trial Forced Nasogastric Administration of Medication William Richie, M.D.
25. AMA VI Psychiatric Impairment Assessment: Is It Valid? Gordon Davies, M.B., D.P.M.
26. Women, Malingering, and the SIRS: Gender Differences in the Structured Interview of Reported Symptoms Jessica Ferranti, M.D.
SCR8. Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders 1
27. Affective Deficits in Schizophrenia Revisited: The Role of Ambivalence and Alexithymia Fabien Tremeau, M.D.
28. Current Prescribing Practices: Antidepressant Use in Schizophrenia Megan Ehret, Pharm.D.
29. Does Social Support Prevent Relapse and Rehospitalization in Early-Onset Schizophrenia? Results From the Lambeth Early-Onset
Study Raymond Tempier, M.D., M.Sc.
SCR9. Health Services Research
30. Cancer Treatment for People With Mental Illness: A Systematic Review of the Literature Simha Ravven, M.D.
31. Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) for Adults in Psychiatric Distress: Predictors and Characteristics of Clinical Response
Deshmukh Parikshit, M.D.
32. Impact of a Comprehensive Crisis Response Team on Utilization of Hospital and Emergency Services Deepika Sabnis, M.D.
33. Two Implementation Models for Integration of Physical Health Into a Behavioral Health Setting for Patients With Severe
and Persistent Mental Illness Shula Minsky, Ed.D.
W13. Emergency Psychiatry: A Global PerspectiveAmerican Association for Emergency Psychiatry; Chairs: Rachel L. Glick, M.D., Julien J.C. de Carvalho, M.D.
W14. American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Update: Certification in Psychiatry and Its SubspecialtiesChairs: Larry R. Faulkner, M.D., Victor I. Reus, M.D.
W15. Promises and Problems in Compensation and Pension Examinations for VeteransChair: Jagannathan Srinivasaraghavan, M.D.
W16. Caring for the Caregiver: The "Hidden" PatientChair: Amita R. Patel, M.D.
W17. Presurgical Psychiatric Evaluation of Patients Seeking Bariatric SurgeryChair: Zubeida Z. Mahomedy, M.D., M.Med.
W18. Polypharmacy in Schizophrenia: To Be or Not to Be!Chairs: Durga Bestha, M.B.B.S., Vishal Madaan, M.D.
L5. John Fryer Award LectureChair: The Right Rev. B. Gene Robinson
MW2. Faith and Resilience: Carl Dreyer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc"Chair: Francis Lu, M.D.
PS1. Teaching Psychodynamic Psychiatry in the Era of NeuroscienceChair: Carol C. Nadelson, M.D.; Discussant: Carol A. Bernstein, M.D.
Psychotherapy Teaching Strategies Glen O. Gabbard, M.D.
Management Versus Interpretation: Teaching Psychotherapy to Residents Edward Shapiro, M.D.
Teaching Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: Programs in Boston and Cleveland Malkah Notman, M.D.
Teaching Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: Programs in Boston and Cleveland Norman Clemens, M.D.
Learning Psychotherapy: The Experience of Psychiatry Residents Michael Ferri, M.D.
S5. Choosing the Right Treatment for Substance Abuse
Choosing the Right Treatment for Cocaine Dependence Adam Bisaga, M.D.
Choosing Treatment for Cannabis Dependence Frances Levin, M.D.
Combining Medications and Psychosocial Interventions in the Treatment of Substance Abuse Edward Nunes, M.D.
Opioid Dependence: A gonist and Antagonist Treatment Options for Addiction Maria Sullivan, M.D., Ph.D.
Detecting and Managing Sedative-Hypnotic and Stimulant Abuse John Mariani, M.D.
S6. Health Care Reform and Mental Health Care FinancingNational Institute of Mental Health
Impact of Medicaid Prescription Cost-Containment Policies on Antipsychotic Medication Use Among Schizophrenia Patients Jalpa Doshi, Ph.D.
Medicare Part D Coverage Gap and Mental Health Yuting Zhang, Ph.D., M.S.
Measuring Quality Adjusted Life Years for Economic Evaluations of Treatment Services for Children With Autism J. Mick Tilford, Ph.D.
Reducing Disparities in Mental Health Expenditures Among Children in Child Welfare Ramesh Raghavan, M.D., Ph.D.
Reducing Disparities in Mental Health Expenditures Among Children in Child Welfare Derek Brown, Ph.D.
S7. Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: Advances and Challenges in Diagnosis, Biomarkers, and Treatment ModalitiesAPA Council on Children, Adolescents, and Their Families; Chair: Erin C. Soto, M.D.
An Evidence-Based Approach to Careful Assessment and Accurate Assessment of Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents Cathryn Galanter, M.D.
Prodromal Bipolar Disorder in Youth: Diagnosis and Early Intervention Kiki Chang, M.D.
Neurobiomarkers of Adolescent Bipolar Disorder Melissa DelBello, M.D.
Evidence-Based Treatments for Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Erin Soto, M.D.
S8. Mood Disorders Across the Lifespan: Implications forDSM-5 American Psychiatric Institute for Research and Education
Mood Disorders Across the Lifespan: Implications for DSM-5 David Shaffer, M.D.
Young Adulthood: Prime Time for Onset of Bipolar Disorder Ellen Frank, Ph.D.
Adult Major Depressive Disorder and the Bereavement Exclusion Sidney Zisook, M.D.
The Prognostic Importance of Anxiety Symptoms in Unipolar and Bipolar Depressive Episodes William Coryell, M.D.
The Origins and Presentation of Depression in Later Life: A Review Dan Blazer, M.D., Ph.D.
F1. Kaho'olawe: Healing a Violently Traumatized CultureChair: Naleen Andrade, M.D.
Scientific and Clinical Reports
34. Study Design Features Affecting Outcome in Antidepressant Trials Florian SeemÃ¼ller, M.D.
35. Addressing Patients' Needs III: Community Mental Health Care for Nonpsychotic Chronic Patients Tjalling Holwerda, M.D.
36. Large-Scale Depression Screening in Primary CareâUnexpected Benefits Gabrielle Beaubrun, M.D.
W19. The Kaona of HulaChair: Nanette H. Orman, M.D.
W20. Stress Management for Resilient Women in Psychiatry: In Tribute to Tana Weliky-GradyAssociation of Women Psychiatrists; Chair Mary Kay Smith, M.D.
W21. Growing Up in APA: A Case Study on Mentorship
W22. Multiple Perspectives on Overcoming Challenges to CBT Training for Psychiatry ResidentsChairs: Vicki Gluhoski, Ph.D., Hulya M. Erhan, Ph.D.
W23. All in the Gay FamilyâLesbian and Gay Families: Past, Present, and FutureChair: Kenn Ashley, M.D.
W24. Psychiatric Symptoms in Patients With Parkinson's DiseaseChairs: Mateusz Zurowski, M.D., M.S., Andrew Howard, M.D.
W25. Translating Expert Opinion Into Strong Recommendations: New APA Practice Guidelines on Psychiatric ManagementAPA Steering Committee on Practice Guidelines; Chair: Joel Yager, M.D.
W26. Collaborating With Primary Care in the Disaster Setting: Clinical Issues for PsychiatristsChairs: Catherine S. May, M.D., Elspeth C. Ritchie, M.D., M.P.H.
W27. Treatment Challenges in Schizophrenia With Comorbid Conditions: Tailored ManagementChairs: Michael Y. Hwang, M.D., B.S., Henry A. Nasrallah, M.D.
W28. Movement Disorders in Psychiatry: A Video WorkshopChairs: Peter N. Van Harten, M.D., Ph.D., Hans W. Hoek, M.D., Ph.D.
New Research Resident Poster Session 2