3. Rocking the Cradle: A Case of Postpartum InfanticideNicole
F. Wolfe, M.D., Diana Dell, M.D., Alyson KuroskiMazzei, D.O., Donna M. Norris,
M.D.(for APA members only) Continuous Clinical Case Conference 1.R. Rao Gogineni, M.D., Sheila Judge, M.D., Richard P. Kluft, M.D., Robert
Michels, M.D., on 20 Therapies Later: Addressing Tranference Resistance
(for APA members only)
Debate 2. Medications in Pregnancy and Lactation: What Have We
Learned?Moderator: Linda L.M. Worley, M.D.
10. Eric Hollander, M.D., on New Developments in Impulse-Control
Disorders and Autism
11. Vivien Burt, M.D., on TBD (Meet the Authors)
12. Robert Cabaj, M.D., on Gay Men and Crystal Meth Abuse
13. Carol Bernstein, M.D., on TBD
L11. Personality Disorders: Psychiatry's Stepchildren Come of AgeJoel Paris, M.D. Distinguished Psychiatrist Lecture Series
L12. Prevention, Early Intervention, and EliminationLoretta E
Duvall, APA's Patient Advocacy Award Lecture
L13. What Have We Learned About Alcoholism From Animal Models?Tiang Kai Li, M.D., Collaborative Session With the National Institute on
Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Master Educator Clinical Consultations
7. Ronald O Rieder, M.D., on Building a Research Career in
Psychiatry (for APA members only)
8. Michael Myers, M.D., on Treating Physicians and Their Families:
Clinical Dilemmas (for APA members only)
9. Zebulon Taintor, M.D., on TBD (for APA members only)
CW20. The End of Hospitalization? Trends in Intensive Mental Health
Services for Children and AdolescentsAPA Council on Children,
Adolescents, and Their Families; Co-Chairpersons: Brady G. Case, M.D., Harold
Alan Pincus, M.D.
CW21. Bridge Suicide: The Prince Edward Viaduct in Toronto and the
Golden Gate Bridge in San FranciscoAPA Northern California
Psychiatric Society; Chairperson: Mel Blaustein, M.D.
CW22. You Can Be Leaders Too: A Workshop for IMGs and MinoritiesAPA Committee on International Medical Graduates; Chairperson: Josie L.
CW23. Managed Pharmacy and Pay for Performance: The New Managed CareAPA Committee on Managed Care; Chairperson: Paul H. Wick, M.D.
CW24. Doing It in Public: Opportunities in Public Sector PsychiatryAPA Council on Social Issues and Public Psychiatry; Co-Chairpersons:
Cassandra F. Newkirk, M.D., Matthew O. Hurford, M.D.
CW25. It Takes a Village: Assessing Behavioral and Psychiatric Disorders
in Mentally Retarded IndividualsAPA Committee on Developmental
Disabilities; Chairperson: Roxanne Dryden-Edwards, M.D.
CW26. Media Outreach to Latinos: Enhancing Access and Reducing
StigmaAPA Committee of Hispanic Psychiatrists; Co-Chairpersons:
Andres J. Pumariega, M.D., Ana E. Campo, M.D.
CW27. Buprenorphine: Clinical Issues and Managing More Complicated
PatientsAPA Corresponding Committee on Training and Education in
Addiction Psychiatry; Chairperson: John A. Renner Jr., M.D.
CW28. 10 Ways to Stay Out of Trouble: Ethics and EtiquetteAPA
Ethics Committee and APA Ethics Appeal Board; Chairperson: Spencer Eth,
IW29. Pharmaceutical Bias in Presentations: Dos and Don'ts for
EducatorsAssociation for Academic Psychiatry; Co-Chairpersons: Donald
M. Hilty, M.D., Kelli J. R. Harding, M.D.
IW30. When Psychiatrists Get CancerChairperson: Michelle B.
Riba, M.D., Leah J. Dickstein, M.D.
IW31. The Creation and Function of a Mental Health CourtCo-Chairpersons: Lawrence K. Richards, M.D., Roger Peele, M.D.
IW32. Metabolic Screening of Patients on Antipsychotic Medications:
Development of a Quality Improvement Program in an Urban Training Clinic;Co-Chairpersons: Diane B. Gottlieb, M.D., Karen Melendez, M.D.
IW33. The Difficult-to-Treat Bulimia NervosaChairperson:
Jennifer L. McLain, M.D.
IW34. Initiating Couples Therapy TodayChairperson: Ian E.
IW35. Legal Issues in Consultation-Liaison PsychiatryChairperson: Renee M. Sorrentino, M.D.
IW36. Compulsive Hoarding: Conceptualization and TreatmentChairperson: Jose A. Yaryura-Tobias, M.D.
IW37. Cognitive Therapy for Personality DisordersChairperson:
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D.
IW38. Evidence-Supported, RiskMinimizing, and Cost-Conscious Approaches
in PsychopharmacologyChairperson: David N. Osser, M.D.
IW39. Murder Mysteries, Games, and Psychiatric Education: How and Why to
Do a "Who Done It?"Chairperson: Andrea E. Waddell,
IW40. Practical Pharmacotherapy for the Treatment of Alcohol
DependenceCollaborative Session With the National Institute on
Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism; Chairperson: Robert M. Swift, M.D.
IW41. How to Launch a Successful Private Practice: Part 1Co-Chairpersons: William E. Callahan Jr., M.D., Keith W. Young,
IW42. Grassroots Advocacy for Patients and for the Psychiatric
Profession: How Medical Students, Residents, and Early Career Psychiatrists
Can Affect the Legislative, Regulatory, and Political ProcessCo-Chairpersons: Jose P. Vito, M.D., Tony B. Shivers
14. David McDowell, M.D., on The Clinical Use of Buprenorphine
15. Nada Stotland, M.D., on Emerging Issues in Women's Mental
16. Avram Mack, M.D., on Killer Adolescents: Drugs, School, and
17. Mary Jane Massie, M.D., on Psychotherapy With Women With
18. TBD (for residents only.)
L14. History of Mental Health Care Disparities and Corrective
ProposalsMilton C. Hollar, M.D., APA's Solomon Carter Fuller Award
L15. Priorities, Initiatives, and Women's Health ResearchVivian
L16. Psychiatric Implications of Displacement: The Emotional Costs of
Losing Human HabitatMindy J. Fullilove, M.D. Distinguished
Psychiatrist Lecture Series
Master Educator Clinical Consultations
10. Prakash S. Masand, M.D., on Atypical Antipsychotics: 2006 and
Beyond (for APA members only)
11. John Livesley, M.D., on Current Issues in the Treatment of
Personality Disorder (for APA members only)
12. Robin Hurley, M.D., on Neuropsychiatric Aspects of Traumatic
Brain Injury (for APA members only)
Medical Update 2.Richard P. Brown, M.D., on ADD Kids Get
Smart Naturally: Complementary Treatments for ADD
Research Consultation With 2.Paul S. Links, M.D., on
Clinical Research Into Suicide
Scientific and Clinical Reports
Session 12. Gender Differences in Child and Adolescent Behaviors
34. Prediction of Suicidality and Violence in Hospitalized Adolescents:
Comparisons by Gender Daniel F. Becker, M.D.
35. Daily Cigarette Smoking Among Colombian High School Students: Gender
Related Factors Jorge A. MartínezMantilla
36. Subtypes of Aggression: Incidence and Gender Differences in Adolescents
Melissa McMullin, B.A.
Session 13. Violence, Trauma, and Victimization
37. Terrorism: A Phenomenon at the Interface Between Individual and Group
Psychology David A. Rothstein, M.D.
38. The Role of the Psychiatrist in Hospital Emergency Planning Julia
B. Frank, M.D.
39. Psychopathological Effects of Workplace Harassment Jose L. Gonzalez
de Rivera, M.D.
Session 14. Emotionality, Gender, and Life Satisfaction in
40. The Role of Subjective Emotional Reactivity to Affective Pictures in
Predicting Emotional-Behavior Disorders Over a One-Year Period in an
Unselected Community Sample of Children Between the Ages of 7 and 11 Carla
41. Life Satisfaction in Young Urban Adolescents Maribeth Pender,
42. Effectiveness of Group Interventions for Parents of Gender-Variant
Children Edgardo J. Menvielle, M.D.
Session 15. Neurobiology and Psychoimmunology
43. Lymphocyte and Platelet Alteration of the 5HT Transporter in Patients
With Psychosis Donatella Marazziti, M.D.
44. Potential Role of Interleukin-6 and HPA Axis in Breast Cancer Patients
With MDD Haldun Soygur, M.D.
45. NMDA Receptors and BPD: A Critical Mediator Bernadette M. Grosjean,
Session 16. Medication Response in Bipolar Disorder
46. Galantamine-CR for Cognitive Dysfunction in Bipolar Disorder: Efficacy
and Biological Correlates Dan V. Iosifescu, M.D.
47. Rate of Improvement With Quetiapine Across Different Symptoms and
Symptom Clusters in Bipolar Disorder Terence A. Ketter, M.D.
48. Efficacy of the Antipsychotics in Anxiety Symptoms With or Without
Bipolar Disorder Keming Gao, M.D.
Session 17. Prescription and Compliance in Bipolar Disorder
49. Prescription Patterns for Latin Americans Treated for MDD in
Naturalistic Clinical Practice Settings Hector J. Duenas, M.D.
50. Nonadherence in Bipolar Disorder: A Qualitative Study Exploring
Perceptual and Practical Barriers to Taking Medication Jane
51. Patient Dissatisfaction With Information Received About Medicines
Prescribed for Bipolar Disorder Richard Bowskill
Session 18. Special Populations and Mood Disorders
52. Juvenile Bipolar Disorder: Toward a Validation of the Episodic-Chronic
Distinction Giulio Perugi, M.D.
53. Treatment of SAD With a Carbohydrate-Rich Nutrient Mixture David
54. Impaired Mood and Social Functioning Among Adult Children of Parents
With Depression Christine Timko, Ph.D.
Session 19. Brain Imaging
55. fMRI of the Brain Reward System: Manipulation of Risk and Reward Value
Juliana Yacubian, Ph.D.
56. Brain Structure and Outcome in Schizophrenia: The Northern Finland 1966
Birth Cohort Erika Lauronen, M.D.
57. Progressive Glutamatergic and Gray Matter Changes in First-Episode
Patients With Schizophrenia and High Field Proton MRS Peter C. Williamson,
Session 20. Medical Issues in the Treatment of Schizophrenia
58. Metabolic Syndrome in Thai Patients With Schizophrenia: Prevalence and
Incidence Manit Srisurapanont, M.D.
59. The Swedish Study of Metabolic Risks in Psychiatry Urban P. Osby,
60. Olanzapine Treatment Does Not Increase 10-Year Cardiovascular Risk:
Comparison With Haloperidol in Patients With Schizophrenia Yoram Barak,
Session 21. Neuropsychiatry
61. Psychosocial Treatment of Depression in Parkinson's Disease Amy
62. Frequency of EEG Abnormalities and Results of Antiepileptic Drug
Therapy in Unstable Mood Disorders Drake Duane, M.D.
63. Juvenile Epilepsy and Bipolar Disorder: Clinical Challenges Smadar
Session 22. International Epidemiology
64. Mental Health in Iranian Medical Students and Doctors Seyed M.
65. Three-Year, Follow-Up Study of the Psychosocial Predictors of Delayed
and Unresolved Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms of Geriatric Earthquake
Survivors in Yu-Chi, Taiwan Frank H. Chou, M.D.
66. Three-Year, Follow-Up Study of the Relationship Between Post-Traumatic
Stress Symptoms and Quality of Life Among Geriatric Earthquake Survivors in
Yu-Chi, Taiwan Kuan-Yi Tsai, M.D.
CW29. Advances in the Treatment of Intimate Partner ViolenceAPA
Rhode Island Psychiatric Society's Committee on Women; Chairperson: Alison M
CW30. Employment in the Post-Residency Years: Getting What You WantAPA Committee of Residents and Fellows; Chairperson: William C. Wood,
CW31. Can We Talk? A Model for Constructive Conversation Between
Opponents and Advocates of SameSex RelationshipsAPA Corresponding
Committee on Religion, Spirituality, and Psychiatry; Co-Chairpersons: John R.
Peteet, M.D., Allan M. Josephson, M.D.
CW32. From Diagnosis to Treatment of Infants and Young ChildrenAPA Corresponding Committee on Infancy and Early Childhood; Chairperson:
Irene Chatoor, M.D.
CW33. Moving the Psychiatric Agenda in the House of MedicineAPA/AMA Delegation Section Council on Psychiatry; Chairperson: Jack S.
CW34. European Psychiatry: Health and Mental Health Policy After the
Helsinki SummitAPA Council on Global Psychiatry and the World
Psychiatric Association Conflict Management and Conflict Resolution Section;
Co-Chairpersons: Eliot Sorel, M.D., Rodrigo A. Muñoz, M.D.
CW35. From Fantasy to Reality: Recruitment of Minorities in Clinical
ResearchAPA Council on Minority Mental Health and Health Disparities;
Co-Chairpersons: Annelle B. Primm, M.D., Sanjay Dube, M.D.
CW36. Integrating Evidence-Based Psychiatry With Clinical
IntelligenceAPA Lifers; Co-Chairpersons: Abram M. Hostetter, M.D.,
Sheila H. Gray, M.D.
IW43. The Psychiatry Resident as Educator: Implementation of a Teaching
CurriculumCo-Chairpersons: Ruth M. Lamdan, M.D., Autumn Ning,
IW44. Teaching on the Fly: Practical Tips for Teaching Medical Students
One-to-OneCo-Chairpersons: Andrea E. Waddell, M.D., Jodi S. Lofchy,
IW45. Infertility: From Patient Care to Advocacy and Public PolicyChairperson: Roxanne Dryden-Edwards, M.D.
IW46. An Integrative Approach to Cultural Competence Training for
Resident and Staff PsychiatristsCo-Chairpersons: Kenneth P. Fung,
M.D., Ted Lo, M.D.
IW47. Career Advancement in Academic Psychiatry for Early Career
PsychiatristsCo-Chairpersons: Dimitri D Markov, M.D., Elisabeth J.S.
IW48. How to Launch a Successful Private Practice: Part 2Chairperson: William E. Callahan Jr., M.D.
IW49. Does Beauty Equal Happiness?Co-Chairpersons: Stephanie M.
Stewart, M.D., Alicia R. Ruelaz, M.D.
IW50. Teaching Boundaries to Practicing CliniciansChairperson:
Werner Tschan, M.D.
IW51. Multidisciplinary Treatment of Chronic PainCo-Chairpersons: Vladimir Bokarius, M.D., Steven H. Richeimer,
IW52. Are There Limits to Boundary Limits?Chairperson: Malkah
T. Notman, M.D.
IW53. Sexual History: The Art and the ScienceCo-Chairpersons:
Shahrad R. Amiri, M.D., Danni Z. Michaeli, M.D.
IW54. The Psychiatry Resident as Advocate: Practical Steps From the
Clinic to the CapitolCo-Chairpersons: Joan M. Anzia, M.D., James L.
6. To Understand and Assess the Complex Issues of Addiction to
Prescription MedicationNational Institute on Drug Abuse; Chairperson:
Nora Volkow, M.D.
7. Hot Topics in Psychiatric Drug SafetyAPA Scientific Program
Committee and APA Council on Research; Chairperson: P. Murali Doraiswamy,
8. Worldwide Interpersonal and Group Terrorism Toward WomenChairperson: Leah Dickstein, M.D.
9. Alcohol Related Research by Psychiatry ResidentsCollaborative Session With the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and
Alcoholism; Chairperson: Mark Willenbring, M.D.
Presidential Symposium 2. International Advocacy Toward a Psychiatry for
the PersonWorld Psychiatric Association; Chairperson: Steven S.
S34. Predictors of Outcome and Treatment Response in Eating Disorders:
Results From New Research on Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, and Binge
S35. Impulsivity in Axis I and Axis II: Common Substrates, Different
S36. Diagnostic Criteria in Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia: Future
S37. Bullying in the Workplace: Psychiatric and Public Health
S38. Screening, Diagnosis, and Management of Alcohol Use Disorders in
Psychiatric PracticeCollaborative Session With the National Institute
on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
S39. Therapeutic Neuromodulation: Methods and Mechanisms
S40. APA Research Agenda forDSM-VPersonality
S41. Sleep, Fatigue, and Depression in Medically Ill Patients
S42. Scaling Up Against HIV/AIDS: A Culturally Sensitive and
S43. Suicide Research in Canada
S44. Neurobiological Basis for Co-Occurring Substance Abuse and Other
Psychiatric DisordersNational Institute on Drug Abuse
S45. Bipolar Disorder and the U.S. Legal System
S46. APA/APAL: Addressing Psychiatric Patients' Needs in Latin
AmericaAPA Council on Global Psychiatry
S47. Helping Returning Veterans: Veterans Affairs Community
S48. Substance Use Disorders: Planning a Research Agenda forDSM-V Collaborative Session With the National Institute on Alcohol
Abuse and Alcoholism
S49. The Use of Atypical Antipsychotics in Elderly Patients With
Dementia: What Next?
S50. Prevention of Common Mental Disorders: Is It Time to Start?
S51. How to Launch a Successful Private Practice: Part 3
S52. Choosing the Right Treatment for Substance Abuse
S53. Stress-Induced and Fear Circuitry Disorders: Planning the Research
S54. The Methamphetamine Epidemic in the U.S. National Institute on Drug
S55. Preventing Schizophrenia: Opportunities and Challenges
S56. HIV Update for Psychiatric Care
S57. Voting by Persons With Cognitive Impairment
S58. Not Your Parents' EEG: Clinical Applications of Auditory and Visual
S59. Genetic Findings Related to Alcohol Dependence and Related
ConditionsCollaborative Session With the National Institute on
Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
S60. The Meanings of Medication: Issues in Patients' Compliance With
Psychotropic DrugsAmerican Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic
S61. Pharmacogenetics and Drug Abuse ResearchNational Institute
on Drug Abuse
S62. Eating Disorders 2006: From Science to Practice
S63. Vascular Depression: Measurement and Treatment Issues of a Proposed
S64. Deep Brain Stimulation for Treatment-Resistant Psychiatric
S65. Complex Depression: The Interface Between Personality Disorders and