Industry-Supported Breakfast Symposia
IS39. Emerging Evidence in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression (Part
2)Supported by AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals
IS40. Bipolar Illness: The Road to Remission (Part 2)Supported
by BristolMyers Squibb Co.
IS41. New Frontiers in Depression: Providing Solutions to Unmet Needs
(Part 2)Supported by Solvay Wyeth Pharmaceuticals
IS42. What the Psychiatrist Needs to Know About Sleep-Related Movement
Disorders (Part 2)Supported by GlaxoSmithKline
Clinical Case Conferences
5. Consultation-Liaison Casebook Challenge: Strategies and Limitations
in Establishing CompetencyDimitri D. Markov, M.D., Kenneth M. Certa,
M.D., John Paul Gomez, M.D., David H. Lynn, M.D., Jacob Widroff, M.D.(for APA members only)
IW77. Direct to Consumer Marketing: Just Who Is the Consumer?Co-Chairpersons: Nadeem H. Bhanji, M.D., David A. Baron
IW78. Can I Change? A Journey Through Ex-Gay Ministries and BeyondAssociation of Gay and Lesbian Psychiatrists; Co-Chairpersons: Mary E.
Barber, M.D., David L. Scasta, M.D.
IW79. A Model for Improved Psychiatric Services in Developing Countries:
South Asian ForumInternational South Asian Forum; Chairperson:
Jagannathan Srinivasaraghavan, M.D.
IW80. Use of a Standardized Comprehensive Psychiatric Assessment Tool to
Facilitate Evidence-Based Decisions: The InterRAI Mental HealthCo-Chairpersons: Trevor F. Smith, Ph.D., John P. Hirdes, Ph.D.
IW81. Going to the Heart of the Matter in Patient InterviewsChairperson: Harold J. Bursztajn, M.D.
IW82. Fibromyalgia: Current Understanding and Future DirectionsCoChairpersons: Alan Z. Manevitz, M.D., James P. Halper, M.D.
IW83. Traumatized Children in IraqChairperson: Sadiq H.
IW84. International Medical Graduates in Training and Practice:
Professional and Personal TrialsCoChairpersons: Michael F. Myers,
M.D., Nyapati R. Rao, M.D.
IW85. Race and Countertransference in the Clinical SettingCo-Chairpersons: Sherri M. Simpson, M.D., Sandra C. Walker, M.D.
IW86. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy With AdolescentsChairperson: Viet Q. Bui, M.D.
IW87. Mental Health Issues in the Aftermath of Hurricane KatrinaCoChairpersons: Philip T. Merideth, M.D., Grayson Norquist, M.D.
IW88. Size Matters: Teaching Medical Students in Small GroupsCoChairpersons: Lana M. Benedek, M.D., Bruce C. Ballon, M.D.
IW89. So You Want to Be a Clinical InvestigatorChairperson:
Arthur Lazarus, M.D.
IW90. Collaborative Mental Health Care in CanadaChairperson:
Nick Kates, M.B.
IW91. Psychiatry in the Primary Care Setting: Making It Work for Doctors
and PatientsChairperson: John C. Urbaitis, M.D.
IW92. Computer Tools for Cognitive-Behavior Therapy: Integrating
Technology Into Clinical PracticeChairperson: Jesse H. Wright,
IW93. Cultural Diversity and Psychiatry: Clinical Care, Research, and
EducationChairperson: Niranjan S Karnik, M.D.
IW94. Cardiovascular Complications of Second Generation
Antipsychotic DrugsCo-Chairpersons: Peter Manu, M.D., Raymond E.
IW95. Children of PsychiatristsCo-Chairpersons: Michelle B.
Riba, M.D., Leah J. Dickstein, M.D.
Transsexualism, Pedophilia, and AddictionAmerican Academy of Child
and Adolescent Psychiatry; Chairperson: Jose P. Vito, M.D.
IW96. Group Psychotherapy of Substance AbuseAmerican Group
Psychotherapy Association; Co-Chairpersons: David W. Brook, M.D., Henry I.
IW97. Providing Behavioral Health Treatment Services for Very Young
Special-Needs Children and Their FamiliesChairperson: Peter D Ganime,
IW98. The Impact of Race and Gender on the Interactions Between Female
Psychiatry Residents and Their Patients: An Interactive Group WorkshopCo-Chairpersons: Nancy M. Bivens, M.D., Christina V. Mangurian,
IW99. Identifying and Managing Patients With Schizophrenia and a Genetic
SyndromeChairperson: Anne S. Bassett, M.D.
IW100. Disasters, Public Policy, and Addiction PsychiatryCollaborative Session With the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and
Alcoholism; Chairperson: Richard J. Frances, M.D.
IW101. Performance-Enhancement Psychological Techniques in GolfInternational Society for Sport Psychiatry; CoChairpersons: Syed S. A.
Naqvi, M.D., Salvador R. del Rosario Jr., M.D.
IW102. Anorexia and Malnutrition in the Elderly PatientChairperson: Jonathan T. Stewart, M.D.
IW103. Medical Comorbidity in Dual-Diagnosis PatientsCollaborative Session With the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and
Alcoholism; Chairperson: Vasant P. Dhopesh, M.D.
IW104. Detecting Bipolar DisorderCo-Chairpersons: Gary E.
Miller, M.D., Richard L. Noel, M.D.
IW105. Simulations and Psychiatric Education: Workshop for Standardized
Patient TrainingCo-Chairpersons: Nancy L. McNaughton M.Ed., Kerry J.
IW106. Making It Happen: Implementing the APA Practice Guideline for
Major Depressive Disorder in Everyday PracticeChairperson: Jack S.
IW107. Desperate Housewives Survive the War of the Worlds: Therapeutic
Perspectives on Women's HealthChairperson: Richard K. Harding,
IW108. Psychiatrists Who Have Faced Mental Illness in Themselves: There
Is a Silver LiningCo-Chairpersons: Michael F. Myers, M.D., Leah J.
IW109. Teaching Human Sexuality to Health Science Students Using the
Sexual Events Classification SystemAssociation for Academic
Psychiatry; CoChairpersons: Donald C. Fidler, M.D., Gregg Dwyer, M.D.
IW110. Improving Access to Healthcare for Homeless Persons Living With
HIV/AIDSCo-Chairpersons: Keith R. Stowell, M.D., Antoine B. Douaihy,
Medical Update 4.Philip Wong, M.D., on Liver Transplant
Update: Current Outcomes and Challenges in 2006
Scientific and Clinical Reports
Session 34. Current Research in Depression and Anxiety
100. Desvenlafaxine: Preclinical Evidence for 5HT and Norepinephrine
Reuptake Inhibition, Antidepressant, and Antinociceptive Activity Terrance
H. Andree, Ph.D.
101. Efficacy and Safety of Desvenlafaxine Succinate in the Treatment of
MDD Nicholas Demartinis, Ph.D.
102. Panic Disorder Associated With Severe Dizziness: Demographic and
Clinical Features and Treatment With Clonazepam Antonio E. Nardi,
Session 35. Panic Disorders
103. A 40-Year Follow-Up Study of Patients With Panic Disorder Gabriel
104. Resilience in Anxiety Disorders Catherine Mancini, M.D.
105. The Naturalistic Treatment of Panic Disorder in a Real-World Clinical
Setting Eric D. Peselow, M.D.
Session 36. Family Contributions/Perspectives
106. Family Background and Genius: Nobel Laureates in Science Albert
107. Familial Psychiatric Disorders and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome: Is
There a Significant Relationship? Jeffrey Sverd, M.D.
108. The Parent's Perspective on Gender Variant Children and Adolescents:
Concerns, Hopes, and Joys Darryl B. Hill, Ph.D.
Session 37. Matching Treatment to Appropriate Populations
109. Patterns of Symptom Response in the Treatment for Adolescents With
Depression Study: Do Some Symptoms Respond Better to Certain Treatments?
Jessica L. Murakami, M.S.
110. Antipsychotics in the Treatment of Delirium: A Review of Prospective
Trials Dallas P. Seitz, M.D.
111. Treatment Matching in the Post-Hospital Care of Patients With
Depression Gabor I. Keitner, M.D.
112. Distinguishing Patients Who Attempt Suicide From Patients With
Ideation Only Stephen B. Woolley, M.P.H.
113. Hopelessness and Suicidality Three Months Post-Hospital Discharge
John W. Goethe, M.D.
114. Parent's Socioeconomic Status, Psychiatric Disorders, and Suicidality
as Risk Factors of Subsequent Suicide of Offspring: The Northern Finland 1966
Birth Cohort Study Antti S. Alaräisänen, M.B.
Session 39. Current Trends and Controversies in Psychiatry
115. A Review of Chemical Castration and Its Use in the U.S. Penal System
Sara G. West, M.D.
116. Acupuncture and Cognitive-Behavior Therapy for PTSD Michael
117. Pseudoseizures: Interaction of Past Traumatic Stress and Current
Suppression of Negative Affects James L. Griffith, M.D.
Session 40. Cultural Variations in Psychiatric Illness
118. BPD and Cultures Bernadette M. Grosjean, M.D.
119. Patterns of Antidepressant Prescribing and Suicide in Israel Dov
120. Prevalence of PMDD Among Women in a Primary Care Outpatient Setting in
the United Arab Emirates Ossama T. Osman, M.D.
Session 41. Lifestyle Issues in Mental Health
121. Lifestyle Issues in Mental Health: Social Support, Diet, Fitness, and
Recreation Henry T. Chuang, M.D.
122. Alcoholism in Schizophrenia: Systematic Review 2000-2004 Johanna
123. Cigarette Smoking Among Psychiatric Outpatients: A Matched CaseControl
Study in Bucaramanga, Colombia Adalberto Campo-Arias, M.D.
Session 42. Studies in Addiction
124. Substance Abuse in Bipolar Disorder E. Sherwood Brown,
125. Substance-Related Disorders and Dual Diagnosis in a Random NationWide
Sample of 998 Prisoners: Prevalences and Risk Factors Michael Lukasiewicz,
126. Stroop Performance in Pathological Gamblers Pinhas N. Dannon,
Session 43. Complication of Treatments in Psychiatric Disorders
127. Armodafinil Improves Fatigue in Patients With Excessive Sleepiness Due
to Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome Steven Hull, M.D.
128. Efficacy, Tolerability, and Safety of Once-Daily Atomoxetine
Hydrochloride Versus Placebo in Taiwanese Children and Adolescents With ADHD
Susan Shur-Fen Gau, M.D.
129. Medication Nonadherence in Bipolar Disorder: The Role of Patients
Treatment Perceptions Rob Horne
Session 44. Therapeutic Solutions for Caregiving Families
130. Spirituality and Recovery From Depression Caroline B. Williams,
131. Depression and Caregiver Burden in Families of People With
Schizophrenia Lawrence Haber, Ph.D.
132. Psychodrama Groups for Psychiatric Intervention to Family Members of
Patients With Schizophrenia Derya I. Akbiyik, M.D.
14. Psychotherapy Tools for Disaster-Related ProblemsChairperson: Katherine Shear, M.D.
15. Improving the Quality of Health Care for Mental and Substance Use
ConditionsChairperson: Mary Jane England, M.D.
S100. Strengthening of Mental Health Systems in Low- and Middle-Income
CountriesAPA Council on Global Psychiatry
S101. Identifying Subtypes in OCD
S102. Virtual Environments and Convergent Media Technology
S103. A Research Agenda forDSM-VConcerning
Religious and Spiritual Issues in the Diagnostic ProcessAPA
Corresponding Committee on Religion, Spirituality, and Psychiatry
S104. Global Mental Health Disparities: A Cultural Perspective and the
Potential for Formal and Informal International ExchangesAPA Council
on Global Psychiatry
S105. Psychiatry on the Silver Screen
S106. Treatment of Personality Disorders: Preview of TPD IV
S107. Post-Deployment Mental Health: Translating Research Into Clinical
S108. Improving Cross-Cultural Competency in Psychiatric
S109. Bereavement andDSM-V
S110. NAMI Doctors Sound OffNational Alliance on Mental
S111. Infectious Diseases and Psychiatric Symptomatology
S112. Using Technology to Improve Patient CareAmerican
Association for Technology in Psychiatry
S113. Neurofeedback Advances in ADHD: Does the Research Validate
S114. Sleep Deprivation: Theoretical and Practical Implications
S115. International Perspective on Quality Improvement InitiativesWorld Psychiatric Association
S116. Armed and Dangerous: Is Your Patient Safe to Return to Work?APA Corresponding Committee on Psychiatry in the Workplace
S117. One Patient/Four Minds: Integrated Treatment for MDD
S118. U.S. Military Psychiatry and Operation Iraqi Freedom: An
S119. Complementary, Alternative, and Integrative Approaches in Mental
S120. Suicide on College Campuses: Practical and Ethical Issues